Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Follow Your Gut....Literally

I have been neglecting some of my usual duties at the clinic because I had my own health scare!  Some of you have been asking about me which is so sweet, thank you for all your concern and well wishes.  At first I didn't think much of it, I had spent a lovely few days in the country but I may have picked a few things off the ground that I shouldn't have.  It can be hard to tell, even for this discerning nose what's good to eat and what isn't.  Some things I have down:  red pepper - ok.  Goose poop - not ok.  Cucumber - fine.  Mushroom from the grass outside -no!  Dog biscuit - no problem.  Fertilizer - definitely not!  How is a poodle to keep all of this straight?  

Anyways, a few days later my little poodle tummy was not right, I was up at night throwing up and just didn't have the energy to meet all my friends with my usual tail wag.  Now I don't know if any of you know this, but I do have a sensitive tummy.  Sometimes when I eat things that I am not supposed to it rocks the boat, so to speak.  So at first I (and my family) didn't think much of it.  I got my usual injection of Cerenia (the stomach settling needle) and some Gastro Low Fat diet (the doggy equivalent to soda crackers).  But a day or two later I still wasn't feeling well.  And you know something, my mummy knew it was something different this time.  So she didn't waste any time letting the doctors at the clinic here know that I needed some extra care and TLC this time.  They went ahead and checked a bloodwork profile.  When the results came back we were all shocked.  My liver enzymes were seven times normal!  The doctors think that my liver was angry and working hard at detoxifying something I got into.  Boy did I ever feel bad, in more ways than one.  They sure did know how to look after me though.  I got some IV fluids and some pain medicine.  I was also given some medications to help support my liver, and some antibiotics.  

My mummy slept downstairs with me and would get up in the middle of the night and restart my fluid pump when it stopped and beeped obnoxiously.  Needless to say, the next few days were a blur.  But in the end it was all worth it.  After a week, my liver enzymes returned to normal, but I continued taking the antibiotics and liver support for a few weeks, just to be on the safe side.  What a terrible scare.  It really did make me think though, now that I have a new lease on life.  Hence the title of my post:  follow your gut.  My mummy knew something was not right with me and didn't take the risk on waiting.  

Here is a picture of me when I was hooked up to my IV drip.  If I look a little dazed it was because of that pain medication! 

You'll all be please to know I am back to my usual antics now.  I got in trouble for stealing a piece of chicken off the floor today.  So I guess chicken with creamy sauce goes on the "no" list.  Rats.

Hope you are all well.

Hugs -  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.